Monday, November 16, 2015

Monoprinted Egg Cards

I have become quite addicted to monoprinting via a home-made permanent gelli plate. Monoprinting is a form of print making that results in one unique print rather than a multitude of identical copies of the print. I made some funky graphic 'egg' cards.


First I made a bunch of backgrounds prints with bright colours and various textures on old book paper. Then I made a stencil of the white of the egg and by 'stencil' I mean I but a weird blob out of some thin plastic. I printed the egg white onto various background papers. Then I made a round stencil and used that to print the yolk onto the egg white. Then I stamped on the word 'egg' and mounted the image on a card base. 

Monoprinting is fun because you can create a bunch of similar items but each one has its own quirky personality. This egg was my first 'mass-produced' try at the gelli plate but I think using the same technique for other food images would be fun. Ideas include: chocolate chip cookies, pancakes and butter, and a bowl of fruit. 

Edited to Add: I made more and am selling them here!

1 comment: